Friday, August 12, 2016

Wilderness Collective Review: Sequoia to Yosemite


More and more I've been choosing experiences over material things and lately I feel completely confident that I’ve made the correct decision in thinking this way.

Since watching the first videos of the Wilderness Collective's motorcycle trips, I knew I wanted to do one but it always seemed a bit out of reach financially, even if it's sort of a bucket list type of trip for me. Side note: I don’t really like the term “bucket list” but I don’t have an alternative at the moment.

Long story short, the Wilderness Collective Sequioa to Yosemite Dual Sport Motorcycle Tour called to me and on September 29, 2015, I answered the call and booked my trip. The best part is, I pulled the trigger during their Kickstarter campaign and got the trip for $1,000 off. Way too good to pass up.



Let me offer a spoiler though as you’re probably about to ask me, “is it worth the money?” and I have to say, yes, it most certainly worth it. But remember, I'm a believer that experiences are worth more than “things." This trip is truly something to experience.

Look, if you're used to roughin' it on your own with some ultralight cuben fiber stuff sacks and eating dehydrated beans while hitchhiking on the cheap, this trip just may not be for you. But what this trip provides is so much more than that. Stop wasting your time planning potential routes, leave your camera behind (they have a professional photographer and videographer riding along), and don't even think of packing your titanium spork for meals. Did I mention they've brought in some of the best chefs of the LA area (at least on my trip) to cook breakfast lunch and dinner for you?

Being able to sit back, relax, and enjoy the moment isn't something I'm used to doing. I usually sit on the planning end of things and I never get to be treated like the "guest" or "client" and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Their spartan but top quality crew handled everything that needed handling and left the riding to us riders without being weighed down by the minutiae of the day to day.


I planned on on this review being a lot longer than it currently is but I'm going to end things early. I even planned on breaking down the cost of the motorcycle rental, insurance, gas, maintenance costs, spare parts, use of the Icon Variant helmet, Elsinore boots, and body armor, or the Icon gloves, backpack, and hydration bladder you get to keep, or the use of the Poler tents, Snow Peak chairs, professional photographer, and chef but I've simply decided to ask if you would take my word for it when I say this trip is worth it.



At the end of the day, you'll know if this trip is for you and nothing I can say will sway you in either direction.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.



Photos by Steve Dubbeldam and Jay Gullion

No comments: