Sunday, September 27, 2015

In Search of a 2 Man Tent

I’ve been looking for a new tent and think I’ve found one that I’m ready to try.

Criteria:

  • 2 man capacity
  • $200-$400 (ideally, cost includes footprint)
  • 3 - 4.9 lbs (as close to 3 as possible)
  • 2 doors (and 2 vestibules)
  • Bath tub floor
  • Sold by REI (love their guarantee and I get a dividend back)
  • Great bang for the buck


Planned Use:

I’d be lying if I said this tent would be mostly used for true backpacking but in reality, my near future holds mostly car camping with the occasional overnight backpacking trip.


My Style:

I prefer to buy things once and don’t mind paying a little more if it’s a better value in the long run. “Some things cost more because they’re worth more.” [The trick is finding out which things are worth their cost.]


My Current Top Picks:

I’ve been debating mostly between the Big Agnes Rattlesnake SL 2 mtnGLO ($349) and the REI Half Dome 2 ($199) and have all but settled on the Half Dome 2 because of my current (and near future) needs as well as its low impact to my wallet. While I think the interior lights idea of the Big Agnes tent is neat, it's not a deal breaker for me at all. In fact, I could buy the Half Dome 2 and the Big Agnes mtnGLO Light Accessory Kit and still have $110 left over when compared to the Rattlesnake SL 2.


Final Decision:

The main problem is that I'm having to make a decision in the next day or two because I'm going on a camping trip this weekend. I wasn't planning on upgrading so soon but they're calling for rain and my current tent won't be able to handle the constant downpour without me getting wet and uncomfortable. A quick decision is hardly ever ideal but I've been weighing my options pretty hard over the last few days and just now decided to write about it.

As of the publishing of this post, I'm leaning heavily towards the Half Dome 2. It seems to be the best compromise of features and cost for my needs.


Your Recommendation?

I'd love to hear your recommendations but keep in mind my criteria listed above.

UPDATE: I settled on the REI Half Dome 2. On the few camping trips I've taken it on, it's proven itself to be a great buy and I highly recommend it.

No comments: